Lean Healthcare is an evolving methodology which benefits the Healthcare Industry in terms of better operational efficiency, cost effectiveness & higher process quality.
Healthcare is a multifaceted business and has to continuously balance the needs for medical care and financials. In the last decades, the industry has expanded precariously offering advanced treatment through technology. Though an advantage for both professionals and the patients, technological investments are often causes of financial pressures and redundant operational effectiveness in the Healthcare Industry.
The healthcare processes need revival to become effective so that people from the developing societies can afford high quality. In response to the increase in pressure, the industry is rapidly adopting various methods & tools that had been successfully used in so many other industries. Those methods and tools helps in developing healthcare associates to drive the process changes & therefore improving the overall performance of the industries.
Lean Healthcare offers a positive cycle of improvement brining a remedial change on a far-reaching scale. Lean design is now being incorporated into a wide range of industries, including service industries, such as health care. Becoming Lean is “maximization of customer value while minimizing waste”. Simply put, Lean means creating more value for customers with less resources.
For the medical fraternity, this means seeing your practice as a system of processes, knowing what value your patients derive from your practice and eliminating steps or tasks that do not meet the needs of your patients.
Why Lean Healthcare!
Hospital and Health care centers across continents have been taking advantage of the Lean – Kaizen movement for break through improvements. Indian Healthcare industry too can take advantage of this Kaizen Movement to
- Hospitals, patients as well as physicians are dissatisfied and employers are scaling back on their insurance coverage due to escalating costs
- Patients are growing older and more ill while healthcare is becoming more expensive, technical and complicated./li>
- Focused standardized approach to improvement.
- Identify and eliminate waste.
- Unleash the true potential of your team to deliver quality of service to your customers.
The answer to succeeding in this challenging environment and strengthening patient-physician relationships while maintaining financial prosperity is the successful implementation of Lean Healthcare principles.
Invite Vedzen’s Practitioners to make an assessment of multiple improvements projects possible in your Hospital and deliver guaranteed results. Some of the generic problems (Waste) that normally occur in the healthcare industry are:
- Defects like treatment mistakes or ordering the wrong lab test
- Rework involves any unnecessary work required because of an error such as sending the patient back to the laboratory because a lab order was incomplete or having front-office staff rewrite a lab order.
- Waste of Over Production refers to tasks that do not add value such as ordering multiple referrals for the same problem or prescribing antibiotics for a viral infection.
- Waste of Waiting refers to any delays or idle time involving the patient, physician or staff, such as waiting for patients, information, materials and decisions or not having lab results available at the time of the visit.
- Waste in Transportation refers to moving people and things around in an inefficient manner such as the hand-off of patient intake forms from the front office to the back office to the physician.
- Waste of Inventory involves any information or materials waiting to be used, such as a stock exceeding shelf life or stack of unread laboratory reports or piles of patient booklets sitting in the waiting area.
- Waste of Motion refers to any unnecessary and inefficient placement of patients, staff or physicians.
- Waste of Over Processing refers to rework due to poor procedures, completing all paperwork in triplicate or scheduling separate visits for acute care and wellness care when one visit would suffice.
Benefits of implementing Lean Healthcare
Our Team of experts in Lean-Kaizen Tools and Techniques have focused on direct care delivery, administrative support and financial administration.
Shorter Patient waiting times.
More efficient Patient record &
Faster bed ‘turn-around’
Less inventory used &
better use of space.
Better and more streamlined
More timely and efficient
delivery of care.
Better medical supply &
Through Put Time Reduction at Pharmacy
Our objective is to create culture of continuous process improvement to ensure that the healthcare processes are efficient and of high quality at lesser cost. The focus is to use the existing team and provide them with tools to deliver on the metrics and goals with better problem solving capabilities as a group.
This approach drives a great deal of success in targeted areas and involves the people actively working in the process.
Culture of Continual Improvement
Kaizen activity has a dramatic impact on the work culture of a local area. It creates a foundation and motivation to drive continuous improvement in the process. Business leaders generally like this approach because they can see tangible change quickly. Kaizens are useful for implementation of larger scale improvement & driving smaller local change quickly. Results are achieved in 5 days & change is typically visible.
Training within Industry
Long term training programs addressing the essential skills needs for redesigning & optimizing systems can help ensure more consistent practices that lead to better quality. Following such structured approach unites Lean practices with training. TWI generates co-operation among employees for building standardised work and maintaining it.
For more information (Contact Us)